Last year, the Television Critics Association chose not to give any one show multiple awards, as if it wanted to make sure as many programs as possible got recognized. It didn’t bother with that this year, though, as two shows—Veep and True Detective—both won multiple times. The Program Of The Year award once again went to Breaking Bad, proving that splitting up a show’s highly anticipated final season will now and forever be considered a great idea. The Outstanding Achievement in Drama award went to The Good Wife, while the comedy award went to a tie between Veep and Louie. Netflix’s Orange Is The New Black earned the title Outstanding New Program, and True Detective won for Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials thanks to its anthology format.
HBO cleaned up the individual awards, with Julia Louis-Dreyfus taking the comedy award for Veep and Matthew McConaughey taking drama for True Detective. Saturday Night Live won the Heritage Award “for the cultural and social impact it has had on society,” according to the TCA’s press release, which probably has something to do with the lasting effects of the “Dick In A Box” video.
The complete list of winners is below:
- Individual Achievement in Drama: Matthew McConaughey, True Detective (HBO)
- Individual Achievement in Comedy: Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: COSMOS: A SpaceTime Odyssey (FOX and National Geographic Channel)
- Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: RuPaul’s Drag Race (LOGO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: The Fosters (ABC Family)
- Outstanding New Program: Orange is the New Black (Netflix)
- Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials: True Detective (HBO)
- Outstanding Achievement in Drama: The Good Wife (CBS)
- Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: (Tie) Veep (HBO) and Louie (FX)
- Career Achievement Award: James Burrows
- Heritage Award: Saturday Night Live (NBC)
- Program of the Year: Breaking Bad (AMC)
Send your Newswire tips to firstname.lastname@example.org