Jen Kirkman hides in a broom closet to escape drunken patriots
Jen Kirkman can be sharp, self-aware, smart, and political, but in this story from her early career, she’s mostly naïve and scared of the drunken Long Island yahoos who enjoy a boob cake more than they enjoy her stand-up. Throw in a white mailman who steals Bill Cosby’s routines, a New York still reeling from post-9/11 trauma, an ill-timed Vietnam joke, and an evening that ends in a broom closet, and this amounts to one of the most harrowing Stand Down stories yet.
Next up: The Sklar Brothers play a corporate Christmas party.
Did you miss Jen Kirkman's Twitter Q&A last night? Catch it on Storify.
More Stand Down 2012
- Patton Oswalt's magical black man
- Maria Bamford visits the morning zoo
- Reggie Watts shows team spirit
- Jimmy Pardo barely escapes from angry sailors
- Tig Notaro bombs onstage, then things get worse
- Kyle Kinane tours with a racist ventriloquist
- Jen Kirkman hides in a broom closet to escape drunken patriots
- The Sklar Brothers barely escape a corporate Christmas party
- Dan Telfer somehow fares worse than a mime-and-clarinetist duo
- Natasha Leggero wrestles with a Christian college