Jenn Wasner of Wye Oak discusses and performs "Holy Holy"
2011 has been a great year for Wye Oak, beginning in March with the release of the Baltimore duo’s third—and best—album, Civilian. It’s one of the year’s finest, so we thought it’d be only natural to invite singer-guitarist Jenn Wasner to be the first subject in our new video series, One Track Mind.
We met up with Wasner at the Golden West Café in Baltimore, where she worked for many years. The restaurant/venue also happens to be where Wye Oak—then called Monarch—played its first show. Wasner took us up to the office to discuss one of Civilian’s best tracks, the searing, gorgeous “Holy Holy.”
After a brief Baltimore tour that included a stop at Bodie’s corner from The Wire, we headed over to The Soft House, a warehouse/performance space where Wasner was playing solo that night, for a stripped-down performance of the song. The sun was just setting through the windows behind her, which made for a striking visuals to go along with this striking song. Enjoy.
More One Track Mind 2011
- Introducing The A.V. Club's One Track Mind
- Jenn Wasner of Wye Oak discusses and performs "Holy Holy"
- St. Vincent discusses and performs "Surgeon"
- Ben Folds discusses and performs "The Luckiest"
- Mac McCaughan of Superchunk discusses and performs "Digging For Something"
- Matthew Sweet discusses and performs "I've Been Waiting"
- Eric Bachmann of Archers Of Loaf discusses and performs "Web In Front"
- Dessa performs and discusses "The Chaconne"
- Bob Mould discusses and performs “Hoover Dam”
- The Walkmen discuss and perform "We've Been Had"
- Craig Finn discusses and performs "Jackson"
- Naughty By Nature discusses and performs "O.P.P."