Le1f combines grime and neon to make “gayngsta rap”
More Hear This
- “Deacon Blues,” Scotch, Steely Dan, and other intergenerational appreciations
- My dad toured with Phil Collins
- A dad’s love for “Oh Sherrie” conjures up memories—and a few unanswered questions
- Jimmy Eat World would like everyone to forget about “Reason 346”
- “Carve Out Your Tongue” carves a dark path for Grave Babies
In Hear This, A.V. Club writers sing the praises of songs they know well—some inspired by a weekly theme and some not, but always songs worth hearing.
Pitchfork first wrote about Le1f’s amazingly catchy single “Wut” back in July, but for some reason I only came across the “gayngsta rap” artist in late 2012. (That’s the burden of having so many quality singles on the Internet, I suppose.) Either way, I’m incredibly glad I found the song, which gyrates around grimy beats and lines about “gettin’ light in my loafers” and a guy who wants to “suckle on my muscle” in such an infectious fashion that it’s taken over my musical life. Le1f released an EP, Liquid, late last year and the single, “Soda,” is pure, sugary pop, but when I need a caffeine-packed pick-me-up, I’m still going to go with “Wut” to get me moving. Plus, the video’s pretty much perfect.