Reminder: The A.V. Club is looking for a copyeditor
Attention readers who love to nitpick us: If you're so smart, why don't you apply to be a copyeditor here, huh? Huh, tough guy? Details below.
The A.V. Club, the arts-and-entertainment sister publication of The Onion, is looking for a copyeditor to join the team in our Chicago office. This entry-level, full-time employee will collaborate with the editorial staff to polish content for the print and web editions. We’re looking for a self-starter familiar with The A.V. Club’s content and style, someone with an active, enthusiastic mind and a passion for pop culture. The ideal candidate will also be a copyediting machine, as this will primarily be a copyediting position—though there may be opportunities to contribute to the editorial content in other ways, later down the line.
Qualified candidates will possess:
- Exceptional grammatical skills, proofreading accuracy, and knowledge of AP style
- Familiarity with our editorial voice and the ability to judge and edit copy to fit that voice
- Passion for arts-and-entertainment journalism and pop culture
- Ability to thrive in a deadline-driven environment with a large editorial team
- Excellent research and fact-checking skills
- Experience with web publishing, website maintenance, and multimedia production a huge plus
- Ability to focus on several ongoing projects at once also a huge plus
- At least one year of experience, and/or a degree in journalism, publishing, or a related field is ideal
The Onion is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Please send a resume, cover letter with salary requirements, and writing and editing samples (before/after edits, tracked changes in Word, etc.) to email@example.com.
Please, no phone calls or office visits.