More Commentary Tracks Of The Damned
- Billy Crystal supplies the dad jokes in Parental Guidance’s mind-numbing commentary
- The commentary of Cougars, Inc. finds artfulness in a generic sex comedy
- The commentary track for The Coalition celebrates its own superficiality
- Paycheck’s commentary finds John Woo defending the film that stalled his Hollywood career
- The commentary for Alex Cross is just as numbingly generic as its film
- Cramming every lazy stereotype about blacks into one lowbrow comedy
Director Jessy Terrero and cast members Tom Arnold, Godfrey, Kevin Hart, and Gary Anthony Williams
Tone Of Commentary
Raucous, self-deprecating, wisecracking, and celebratory. The director and cast spend much of the commentary cracking up, either at the film's lame gags or at each other's comments. Arnold introduces himself as "Tom Arnold, alcoholic, addict." After nine minutes, he quips, "When's the comedy start?" Upon Snoop Dogg's entrance, Arnold urges the rapper, "Save our movie!" Hart waxes tongue-in-cheek about the acting challenges of the film's dramatic scenes, and isn't too modest to gush, "This is hilarious!" during some bits.
What Went Wrong
Terrero was forced to cut his cameo as a passenger sitting next to an obese man.
Comments On The Cast
Snoop Dogg improvised saying "testicles, one-two, testicles, one-two," marking the first time those words were ever uttered in place of "testing, one-two." The commentators are quick to point out that even though Williams plays an effeminate homosexual subtly named "Flame," he is really a strapping, deep-voiced heterosexual. Much humorous sport is made of Arnold's whiteness, as well as Hart's diminutive frame and George Jefferson strut.
Inevitable Dash Of Pretension
During a tender scene between Arnold and his daughter, Hart insists that Soul Plane "has a lot of heart in it, man. It's not just a movie full of jokes. It's a movie with a story, you know, and emotion," not to mention...
Commentary In A Nutshell
"Colt 45! Ain't a black movie without Colt 45, baby!" Hart joyously exclaims upon the appearance of the malt liquor.