The Mountain Goats cover "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"
The Mountain Goats--a.k.a. John Darnielle and band--visited the round room earlier this year for one of the more memorable Undercover sessions yet, covering Jawbreaker's sneering classic "Boxcar." When we found out that John was returning to Chicago for a charity gig at Second City, we figured he would be perfect for a little holiday chestnut. He chose the classic "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas," delivered directly to you, the viewer. (And to some A.V. Clubbers as well.) Wye Oak was in town the same day--they're pals--and Darnielle had the funny idea of singing the song directly to Jenn Wasner. Scheduling didn't work, so we put together a silly second version of this video, especially for you. Check it out here. And that's it for Holiday Undercover 2011! See you next year, people.
- Electric Six covers "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch"
- Mannequin Men cover "Nuttin' For Christmas"
- Peter Wolf Crier cover "Last Christmas"
- Dawes covers "Christmas Time Is Here"
- Little Scream covers "Jesus" by The Velvet Underground
- David Bazan covers "Just Like Christmas" by Low
- Little Red covers "Christmas Lights"
- Office Of Future Plans and Damon Locks cover "Holiday In Cambodia"
- The Mountain Goats cover "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (with special guest)
- Wye Oak covers "Christmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day" by Brenda Lee
- The Mountain Goats cover "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"