Wye Oak covers "Christmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day" by Brenda Lee
Wye Oak had a pretty fantastic 2011. The Baltimore duo's third album, Civilian--you may have seen it atop our year-end list--was released to loads of praise, and tons of touring followed. (You might've seen Jenn Wasner and Andy Stack headlining, or opening for The Decemberists, or The National, or at pretty much any festival.) They're no strangers to our little round room, having won your love with covers of "Strangers" by The Kinks and "Mother" by Danzig. (Merge even released a limited-edition seven-inch featuring the two tracks!) So it was a no-brainer to ask them back for Holiday Undercover, and they took the offer as seriously the third time, covering the little-known Brenda Lee chestnut "Christmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day." Stack switched over to bass for the song, which also features some programmed beats we're sure Santa would enjoy.
- Electric Six covers "You're A Mean One, Mr. Grinch"
- Mannequin Men cover "Nuttin' For Christmas"
- Peter Wolf Crier cover "Last Christmas"
- Dawes covers "Christmas Time Is Here"
- Little Scream covers "Jesus" by The Velvet Underground
- David Bazan covers "Just Like Christmas" by Low
- Little Red covers "Christmas Lights"
- Office Of Future Plans and Damon Locks cover "Holiday In Cambodia"
- The Mountain Goats cover "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" (with special guest)
- Wye Oak covers "Christmas Will Be Just Another Lonely Day" by Brenda Lee
- The Mountain Goats cover "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas"