2013 Milwaukee Film Festival: Day 1
More Local Newswire
- Here’s the info on our three—three!—farewell parties
- Listen to Fable & The World Flat remix San Fermin
- It’s time for us to say goodbye good, Milwaukee
- Die Kreuzen to release remastered versions of Cows And Beer EP for Record Store Day 2014
- According to Hot Topic and a bunch of Hot Topic-y bands, The Rave is haunted
Today marks the beginning of the 2013 Milwaukee Film Festival, which runs through Oct. 10. In order to help you make sense of the bewildering array of films and panel discussions, The A.V. Club will be featuring selected picks for each day of the fest. If you ever wanted to stalk us (and see some great films in the process), now’s your chance.
• Break Up Man: 6:30 p.m., Oriental Theatre
• Opening Night Party: 8:30 p.m., Discovery World
Our opening night itinerary is a no-brainer: Go to the opening night film at the Oriental; hit up the Opening Night Party at Discovery World. A huge hit in its homeland of Germany, Break Up Man tells the alternately rib-tickling and heart-warming tale of a professional “breakup artist,” Paul, who gets more than he bargained for when he sets out on a road trip with one of the casualties of his business, Toto. Like last year’s opening night film, Starbuck, Break Up Man is a guaranteed crowd-pleaser, and a nice way to ease into some of the more challenging fare that can be found at the festival.
Immediately following the film, we suggest putting on your best suit or dress (or at least a decent pair of jeans) and heading over to Discovery World for the Opening Night Party. Chicago’s Hypnotic Brass Ensemble—subjects of fest documentary Brothers Hypnotic—will provide the music, along with Milwaukee’s DJ Bizzon, DJ Madhatter, the Florentine Opera, Evan Christian, Dead Man’s Carnival, and Video Villains. There’ll also be plenty of food, drinks, and hobnobbing opportunities available well into the night. Let’s do this, Milwaukee.