Ben Folds at Riverside Theater
More Just Announced
- John C. Reilly And Friends to play two intimate, underground shows in Miller Caves
- Melvins celebrate 30th anniversary, bring Mudhoney along for show at Turner Hall
- You know what, Stuart? The Dead Milkmen are playing Shank Hall June 6
- Paul McCartney to play Miller Park July 16
- Summerfest (and Lewis Black) confirm Avett Brothers, LL Cool J, MGMT, more for 2013 Big Gig
Ben Folds may conjure images of alt-rock petulance, but the multi-instrumentalist is just the opposite. In the years since his eponymous trio disbanded, Folds has maintained a cult following with a smattering of successful solo releases. Last year’s University A Cappella! may have been a novelty, but at least it was a timely one. Its reworkings of Folds standards like “Brick” and “Army” by campus vocal ensembles serve as the perfect compliment to an evening of Glee, The Sing-Off (which Folds has guest-judged), and The Office’s Andy Bernard reliving his glory days with Here Comes Treble. Folds isn’t done messing around, though; all the lyrics on his latest project, Lonely Avenue, were written by author Nick Hornby, of High Fidelity fame.
Folds will support Lonely Avenue with a show Jan. 28 at the Riverside Theater that is sponsored by The A.V. Club. Tickets are $32.50 and go on sale at noon Dec. 10. Stay tuned here for more information on this show in the weeks ahead.