Bon Iver at Riverside Theater
The acclaimed Justin Vernon-fronted folk band returns to Milwaukee July 23.
More Just Announced
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds to play first-ever headlining Milwaukee show June 20 at Milwaukee Theatre
- The Get Down will return to Turner Hall for annual New Year’s Eve bash
- Martin Short to perform at Pabst Theater January 18
- Screech strikes back: Dustin Diamond’s Bayside Bash returns to Turner Hall Nov. 27
- Metric to play Turner Hall Nov. 22
The A.V. Club is thrilled to join 89.7 WUWM and 88Nine Radio Milwaukee in welcoming Bon Iver back to Milwaukee for a can’t-miss show at The Riverside Theater July 23. The acclaimed Justin Vernon-fronted folk band will be hot off the release of its highly anticipated, self-titled sophomore album, due out June 21.
The story of Bon Iver—emotionally wounded dude from Eau Claire holes up in a cabin and writes a modern-day masterpiece, 2007’s For Emma, Forever Ago—has become somewhat threadbare over the years, though the raw power of Vernon’s music remains undiminished. The upcoming Bon Iver was recorded at April Base Studios, a remodeled veterinarian’s clinic in Fall Creek, Wisconsin. The album promises to be a departure from the ghostly folk of Emma, and will feature horns, strings, keyboards, and a “Civil War-sounding heavy metal song.”
Vernon recently joined Volcano Choir—his collaboration with Collections Of Colonies Of Bees— for an incredible show at Turner Hall, but the just-announced July 23 date will be the first Bon Iver show Milwaukee has seen since 2009. Reserved seating tickets are $32.50, and go on sale Friday, April 29 at noon. A preview video for Bon Iver’s Bon Iver is below.