Special Entertainment celebrates 50 million views of “What What (In The Butt)” with behind-the-scenes video
More Local Newswire
- Here’s the info on our three—three!—farewell parties
- Listen to Fable & The World Flat remix San Fermin
- It’s time for us to say goodbye good, Milwaukee
- Die Kreuzen to release remastered versions of Cows And Beer EP for Record Store Day 2014
- According to Hot Topic and a bunch of Hot Topic-y bands, The Rave is haunted
It’s been nearly six years since Milwaukee’s Special Entertainment—under the Brownmark Films banner—unleashed the video for Samwell’s deliciously batshit single “What What (In The Butt).” In that time, the video has become something of a butt-obsessed phenomenon, inspiring countless Internet memes, a parody on South Park, and a pesky lawsuit or two. It’s also managed to chalk up an impressive 50 million views on YouTube. Not too shabby for a low-budget music video shot in Milwaukee, and not bad for a glitchy ode to anal sex.
To celebrate those 50 million views, the two Milwaukee filmmakers behind Special Entertainment, Bobby Ciraldo and Andrew Swant, have released a behind-the-scenes video of “What What (In The Butt),” featuring the always-charming Samwell doing his thing in front of a green screen. (According to the opening titles, that green screen is located “in an art studio far, far away… in Milwaukee.”) There are no juicy revelations to be found in the video, but it is fun to see just how mundane the making of something so ridiculous can be. Oh, and to witness firsthand the best way to blow a handful of rose petals into the camera.