Cat Power at Pabst Theater
More Just Announced
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds to play first-ever headlining Milwaukee show June 20 at Milwaukee Theatre
- The Get Down will return to Turner Hall for annual New Year’s Eve bash
- Martin Short to perform at Pabst Theater January 18
- Screech strikes back: Dustin Diamond’s Bayside Bash returns to Turner Hall Nov. 27
- Metric to play Turner Hall Nov. 22
A delicate, acoustic-oriented anti-folk troubadour with a tumultuous childhood, a history of self-medication, and tons of street cred, Cat Power (a.k.a. Chan Marshall) is something like a female Elliott Smith. While this comparison connotes a heavy downside for fans (like Smith’s, Marshall’s live shows tend to be hit-or-miss depending upon whether her insecurities get the best of her), it denotes a huge upside: More than a decade after her debut, Marshall released the best music of her career, 2006’s The Greatest—not a collection of hits, but certainly indicative of the quality. She’s since gotten sober and is helping to raise her boyfriend’s child, and her newest record, Sun, was released earlier this month.