Check out the bizarre new video for Bon Iver’s “Calgary”
More Visual Audio
- Watch Volcano Choir perform “Byegone” on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
- Flip out (and do cartwheels and handstands) with The Fatty Acids
- Let WC Tank cut through your conscious neural interference with the video for “Demigodz (Of Tha Law)”
- Think spring with the video for Klassik’s “ForeverWhatever”
- Take a two-wheeled tour of Milwaukee with The Fatty Acids and Cream City Soundcheck
Next week marks the official release of Bon Iver’s highly anticipated, self-titled full-length follow-up to 2008’s For Emma, Forever Ago. In case you’ve already overdosed on the thing (the full album is still available via streaming audio), there’s plenty to chew on in this just-released video for “Calgary,” one of Bon Iver’s many standout tracks. It's some heady stuff, and we’ll be the first to admit that we haven’t the foggiest idea of what’s going on. But hey, we knows what we likes, and we likes what we sees.
The treatment for the video was written by Justin Vernon himself, which goes a long way toward explaining its gauzy dreaminess, not to mention its dreamy gauziness. But before you accuse us of harboring a raging Bon Iver-sized boner (it’s been days since we’ve reported on any Bon Iver news), take a look at the video for yourself, and bask in all of its obtuse glory:
Pretty cool, huh? Here are some of our takeaways:
• The part where the pretty lady is trapped inside the bed is a clear homage to A Nightmare On Elm Street 4: The Dream Master.
• Girl has some serious eyebrows.
• Faux pas alert: The video’s two protagonists are wearing white after Labor Day.
• The whole thing has kind of a NeverEnding Story, Swamps of Sadness vibe.
• The stuffed bear at the end? (At least we think it’s a bear.) No clue.