Has anyone else seen these Sheriff Clarke bus stop stickers?
More Local Newswire
- Watch Mark Borchardt sub for Ryan Gosling in Drive
- Milwaukee’s Special Entertainment unveils ridiculous On Cinema app, featuring Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington
- Love The Noble? Help it stay in business by contributing to “Save The Noble”
- Enjoy one last taste of winter with the Packard brothers and their “meat cannon”
- Who’s a good city? Who’s a good city? Milwaukee is a great place to own a dog, apparently
Last week we asked a question that’s been on the minds of Milwaukeeans for quite some time: Is Sheriff David Clarke nuts? The city’s very own rootin’-tootin’, cowboy-hat-wearing sheriff has been making a lot of waves lately, most notably with pro-gun PSAs like this:
Here’s the text of the above PSA, in case Clarke’s voice is simply too booming and terrifying:
I’m Sheriff David Clarke, and I want to talk to you about something personal…your safety. It’s no longer a spectator sport; I need you in the game, but are you ready? With officers laid-off and furloughed, simply calling 9-1-1 and waiting is no longer your best option. You can beg for mercy from a violent criminal, hide under the bed, or you can fight back; but are you prepared? Consider taking a certified safety course in handling a firearm so you can defend yourself until we get there. You have a duty to protect yourself and your family. We’re partners now. Can I count on you?
Whether or not Clarke can count on every man, woman, and child to start packing heat remains to be seen, though his call-to-arms has made its way to Milwaukee bus stops. A sticker featuring a beaming, heroic Clarke atop a horse—complete with the “You have a duty to protect yourself” quote—was spotted on the corner of Downer and Bradford last week, and is still there today. Has anyone else seen these stickers? Any idea who created them? We’re not sure if they’re pro- or anti-Clarke, though it should be noted that the fine for defacing a Milwaukee County Transit bus stop is a steep one. Better arm yourself now, mystery artist.