KingHellBastard, A Tribe Called Bastard: On The BLVD Of Layton
More Now Streaming
- Listen to a new Call Me Lightning song because holy fucking shit, it’s a new Call Me Lightning song
- The Disclaimer: R.I.P. The Onion and A.V. Club Milwaukee
- The Disclaimer: Hate mail, lakefront development, and more
- The Disclaimer: NEWaukee’s Angela Damiani explains the whole ’Creational Trails, urban camping thing
- The Disclaimer: Urban camping as art, and Spotify as the end of music
Does anybody in Milwaukee actually sell music anymore? Local hip-hoppers KingHellBastard just joined the growing legion of area music-makers offering up their music for free download with the new mixtape, A Tribe Called Bastard: On The BLVD Of Layton, which takes old KHB tracks and remixes them with classics from A Tribe Called Quest’s 1993 masterpiece, Midnight Marauders. It’s a natural pairing given KHB’s obvious hero worship of Tribe; the group’s 2010 EP Remember The Name even includes a song called “A Tribe Called Bastard,” which gives this mixtape its name. While KHB’s strict adherence to early ’90s hip-hop sometimes hampered the otherwise strong Name, the BLVD mixtape will be pretty damn irresistible to anyone weaned on prime-era Native Tongues hip-hop, or curious newbies looking to get schooled in the golden age of jazzy, soulful rap music. Check it out here.