Meat Puppets at Summerfest
More Just Announced
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds to play first-ever headlining Milwaukee show June 20 at Milwaukee Theatre
- The Get Down will return to Turner Hall for annual New Year’s Eve bash
- Martin Short to perform at Pabst Theater January 18
- Screech strikes back: Dustin Diamond’s Bayside Bash returns to Turner Hall Nov. 27
- Metric to play Turner Hall Nov. 22
Despite the best efforts of Kurt Cobain—who did everything but mail copies of Meat Puppets II albums to suburban teenagers everywhere—Meat Puppets have always been comfortably ensconced in the underground. Still, the band has been a solid festival draw since reuniting (again) in 2006, and a just-announced Summerfest show July 9 at 8 p.m. on the U.S. Cellular Stage should prove to be a huge draw.
The adopted Austin residents’ scattershot sound comprises acid-fried country rock and strange psychedelic experiments, but some great songs lurk within all the weirdness. In May, Meat Puppets will revisit some of those songs when they play their 1985 classic, Up On The Sun, in its entirety at the Animal Collective-curated All Tomorrow’s Parties. By the time they make it to Summerfest, the brothers Kirkwood will also be touring in support of their 13th studio album, the just-released Lollipop.