Paul Ryan is the very machine Rage Against The Machine is raging about, man
More Local Newswire
- Watch Mark Borchardt sub for Ryan Gosling in Drive
- Milwaukee’s Special Entertainment unveils ridiculous On Cinema app, featuring Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington
- Love The Noble? Help it stay in business by contributing to “Save The Noble”
- Enjoy one last taste of winter with the Packard brothers and their “meat cannon”
- Who’s a good city? Who’s a good city? Milwaukee is a great place to own a dog, apparently
Along with a gig as a Weinermobile driver and an ability to open cans of refried beans with his widow’s peak, one of the many fun facts to emerge about Paul Ryan is the identity of one of his favorite bands: Rage Against The Machine. As unlikely as it seems, the decidedly right-wing Ryan counts the decidedly left-wing group among his favorite Gen-X rockers, probably because Ryan himself is a member of Gen-X—something that should make you feel very, very old, and very, very scared.
But lest Ryan get away with claiming Occupy and alt- cred at the next Republican sock hop, Rage guitarist Tom Morello spoke to Rolling Stone about how Mitt Romney’s running mate is totally the machine his band is raging against, man. Here are a few choice quotes:
“Paul Ryan’s love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades.”
“Ryan claims that he likes Rage’s sound, but not the lyrics. Well, I don’t care for Paul Ryan’s sound or his lyrics.”
“I wonder what Ryan’s favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of ‘Fuck The Police’?”
“Perhaps Paul Ryan was moshing when he should have been listening.”
Whether or not Morello’s comments will lead Ryan to delete Rage’s music from his P90X workout playlist remains to be seen. Also up in the air is the story behind Ryan’s strange skin tone, which makes him look like Kramer after he smoked cigars for 72 hours straight.