Polica to play Halloween show at Turner Hall
More Just Announced
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds to play first-ever headlining Milwaukee show June 20 at Milwaukee Theatre
- The Get Down will return to Turner Hall for annual New Year’s Eve bash
- Martin Short to perform at Pabst Theater January 18
- Screech strikes back: Dustin Diamond’s Bayside Bash returns to Turner Hall Nov. 27
- Metric to play Turner Hall Nov. 22
Nothing jump-starts a new band’s career like a stellar pedigree, something Minneapolis’ Polica can surely attest to. With members from Roma Di Luna, Vampire Hands, Gayngs, and Bon Iver, the group quickly shot to prominence on the strength of a few scattered songs and the charismatic presence of frontwoman Channy Leaneagh. Good thing the band’s debut album, Give You The Ghost, lives up to the hype: Polica plays it straight on the album, with a lean, tightly coiled sound that comes on like an atmospherically funky film score from a lost ’80s erotic thriller. With the bass and synth lines keeping the rhythm, the jazzy drumming sends the music off in unpredictable directions, giving songs like the raging “Violent Games” and shuffling “Form” an insatiable creep that slowly grows unsettling. A new album, Shulamith, is due this fall.
In support of that album, Polica are set to perform a Halloween show at Turner Hall Thursday, October 31. General admission tickets are $15 in advance, and $17.50 the day of the show. Advance tickets go on sale Friday, July 19 at noon.