Sufjan Stevens Christmas Sing-A-Long at Turner Hall
The “Christmas Sing-A-Long Seasonal Affective Disorder Pageant On Ice” comes to Milwaukee Dec. 13.
More Just Announced
- John C. Reilly And Friends to play two intimate, underground shows in Miller Caves
- Melvins celebrate 30th anniversary, bring Mudhoney along for show at Turner Hall
- You know what, Stuart? The Dead Milkmen are playing Shank Hall June 6
- Paul McCartney to play Miller Park July 16
- Summerfest (and Lewis Black) confirm Avett Brothers, LL Cool J, MGMT, more for 2013 Big Gig
Even to ears that grow cranky as more and more uninspired artists march to the base of the “indie-folk” pile, Sufjan Stevens’ marriage of spare acoustics, whimsical instrumentation, and ribcage-tugging hooks helps to put such genre labels (and the exhaustion they reflect) in the background where they belong. Perhaps it takes a certain madness to tour with a “butterfly brigade” clad in adorable butterfly wings as Stevens once did, or to attempt a series of 50 concept albums on the states. Stevens’ latest project is Silver & Gold: Songs For Christmas, Volumes 6-10, due Nov. 13 on Asthmatic Kitty. The record contains material recorded from 2006 to 2010 and is a follow up to Stevens’ 2006 Christmas record, which collected his first five friends-and-family-only holiday EPs. Silver & Gold features The National’s Aaron and Bryce Dessner, Arcade Fire’s Richard Reed Parry, members of Danielson, and others.
Stevens will be touring behind the album, and will bring his “Christmas Sing-A-Long Seasonal Affective Disorder Pageant On Ice” to Turner Hall Thursday, Dec. 13. General admission tickets (will call only) are $17.25, and go on sale Friday, Oct. 12 at noon.