Sufjan Stevens Christmas Sing-A-Long at Turner Hall
The “Christmas Sing-A-Long Seasonal Affective Disorder Pageant On Ice” comes to Milwaukee Dec. 13.
More Just Announced
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds to play first-ever headlining Milwaukee show June 20 at Milwaukee Theatre
- The Get Down will return to Turner Hall for annual New Year’s Eve bash
- Martin Short to perform at Pabst Theater January 18
- Screech strikes back: Dustin Diamond’s Bayside Bash returns to Turner Hall Nov. 27
- Metric to play Turner Hall Nov. 22
Even to ears that grow cranky as more and more uninspired artists march to the base of the “indie-folk” pile, Sufjan Stevens’ marriage of spare acoustics, whimsical instrumentation, and ribcage-tugging hooks helps to put such genre labels (and the exhaustion they reflect) in the background where they belong. Perhaps it takes a certain madness to tour with a “butterfly brigade” clad in adorable butterfly wings as Stevens once did, or to attempt a series of 50 concept albums on the states. Stevens’ latest project is Silver & Gold: Songs For Christmas, Volumes 6-10, due Nov. 13 on Asthmatic Kitty. The record contains material recorded from 2006 to 2010 and is a follow up to Stevens’ 2006 Christmas record, which collected his first five friends-and-family-only holiday EPs. Silver & Gold features The National’s Aaron and Bryce Dessner, Arcade Fire’s Richard Reed Parry, members of Danielson, and others.
Stevens will be touring behind the album, and will bring his “Christmas Sing-A-Long Seasonal Affective Disorder Pageant On Ice” to Turner Hall Thursday, Dec. 13. General admission tickets (will call only) are $17.25, and go on sale Friday, Oct. 12 at noon.