The 10 hottest “100 coolest/hottest” OnMilwaukee.com lists (that you've heard of)
We love our friends at OnMilwaukee.com. We really do. But someone needs to sit them down and have an intervention, and it looks like that somebody is going to have to be us. Guys, you need help—you’re total list-oholics. Last month OMC released not one, but two lists of the “100 hottest Milwaukeeans.” Yesterday, the site unveiled the “100 coolest Milwaukeeans (that you've heard of),” and OMC publisher Andy Tarnoff promised via Twitter yet another “100 coolest Milwaukeeans” list in the near feature.
Look, we get the appeal of lists. We do them ourselves on occasion. The problem with OMC lists is that they don’t seem very meaningful. It’s just a random jumble of any well-connected Milwaukeean’s Facebook friends, presented without commentary or explanation. (Tellingly, a lot of the same people, including Muzzle Of Bees’ Ryan Matteson and D.A. Wallach of Chester French, made both the hot and cool lists, which really makes them lukewarm.) The feature could just as easily be called “100 sorta well-known Milwaukeeans we thought of off the top of our heads (plus Victor DeLorenzo).”
But hey, we understand that list stories put butts in the seats. So, instead of griping about it, why not get in on the game? We thought about doing a list of “500,000 average-looking Milwaukeeans,” but the phone book already beat us to it. So, here’s our list of the 10 hottest “100 coolest/hottest” OnMilwaukee.com lists (that you’ve heard of).
10. 100 old school Milwaukee memories, part III (The first 200 memories just weren't as memorable.)
9. 100 great Milwaukee music makers, part 1
8. 100 things to do in Milwaukee/100 new things not to do in Milwaukee (tie)
7. 100 Milwaukeeans you need to know, part one
6. 100 Milwaukeeans you need to know, part three (100 Milwaukeeans you need to know, part two, would have made our 20 hottest “100 coolest/hottest” OnMilwaukee.com lists (that you've heard of) list.)
5. The 100 ugliest things in Milwaukee (Still waiting for the sequel.)
4. 100 more great Milwaukee music makers, part 2 (a.k.a. The Dark Knight of OMC “100 great Milwaukee music makers” lists)
3. 100 people you may not have known were Wisconsin folks
2. 100 more folks who juiced the local music scene (The first 100 just primed the pump; these folks really juiced it, whatever that means.)
1. 100 cool Milwaukee moms/100 worst Milwaukee pick-up lines (tie)