The Hold Steady at Turner Hall
More Just Announced
- John C. Reilly And Friends to play two intimate, underground shows in Miller Caves
- Melvins celebrate 30th anniversary, bring Mudhoney along for show at Turner Hall
- You know what, Stuart? The Dead Milkmen are playing Shank Hall June 6
- Paul McCartney to play Miller Park July 16
- Summerfest (and Lewis Black) confirm Avett Brothers, LL Cool J, MGMT, more for 2013 Big Gig
Hey, remember when The Hold Steady was, like, a thing? Remember when just the mention of the Brooklyn-based band’s name caused your friends to squeal in delight, and/or barf in disgust? The group’s infectious (some would say forced) populist vibe worked wonders on a series of terrific (some would say unlistenable) albums, most notably Boys And Girls In America and Stay Positive. But after last year’s not-bad-but-not-great Heaven Is Whenever, the arguments and teeth-gnashing seemed to cool. (Even the fake Craig Finn Twitter feed seems tired these days.) Well, it’s time to get worked up all over again, because The A.V. Club is welcoming the band back to Milwaukee for a show at Turner Hall August 24. Something something townies, something something Adderall.
The Hold Steady was last in town for a New Year’s Eve bash at Riverside Theater, and was joined by Jaill and So So Radio. Before that, a performance at Summerfest 2010 left us less than impressed, though more than amused by the dozens of pissed off comments we received. (We were apparently the first people on planet Earth to poke fun at Summerfest.) Even so, we’re excited to have the band back, and excited to finally—finally!—build something this summer. We’re thinking a potato gun or a zip line would be pretty sweet.
Tickets for the show go on sale Friday, May 27 at noon.