The new State Fair foods are pretty much what you’d expect (other than the “Pork Donut”)
More Local Newswire
- Former Guns N’ Roses bassist Duff McKagan gives Summerfest a shout-out in Rolling Stone
- Great job, Milwaukee! Milwaukee named best city in known universe
- Watch Mark Borchardt sub for Ryan Gosling in Drive
- Milwaukee’s Special Entertainment unveils ridiculous On Cinema app, featuring Tim Heidecker and Gregg Turkington
- Love The Noble? Help it stay in business by contributing to “Save The Noble”
There’s a lot to love about the Wisconsin State Fair—the pig races, the lumberjack competitions, the media-friendly “race wars”—but nothing seems to capture the imagination quite like the annual unveiling of the fair’s newest deep-fried horrors. Last year, deep-fried butter sent the state into an artery-blocking tizzy, leaving many to speculate how the fair could possibly top itself in 2012. But, like an aging ’80s band trotting out its sole hit for the umpteenth time—Tesla playing “Love Song,” for instance (Aug. 11)—the State Fair’s latest food announcement seems a bit forced, hollow, and desperate. Et tu, West Allis?
It isn’t for a lack of trying. A quick glance at the fair’s “New Foods” section reveals a whopping 57 new items. Unfortunately, most of those food things are pretty much what you’d expect, and seem like gunk State Fairgoers have already digested in years past: Deep-Fried Bacon Wrapped Tater Tots On-a-Stick, Deep Fried Twinkies, Grilled Chicken On-a-Stick, Deluxe Deep Fried Bacon Wrapped Cheddar Hot Dog On-a-Stick, etc.
About the only thing that seems truly out of the ordinary (i.e. revolting) is Madison Sportservice’s “Pork Donut,” described as “sugared Bismark stuffed with BBQ pork.” Of course, it’s only a matter of time before the once-novel, swine-flavored donut is tossed in a deep fryer, pierced with a stick, and covered in bacon. Enjoy it now before it sells out and opens for Slaughter in 2013.