Watch Heidi Spencer perform “While It’s Shining” in a London stairwell
More Visual Audio
- Watch Volcano Choir perform “Byegone” on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
- Flip out (and do cartwheels and handstands) with The Fatty Acids
- Let WC Tank cut through your conscious neural interference with the video for “Demigodz (Of Tha Law)”
- Think spring with the video for Klassik’s “ForeverWhatever”
- Take a two-wheeled tour of Milwaukee with The Fatty Acids and Cream City Soundcheck
Milwaukee had a terrific year for music in 2011, and Heidi Spencer And The Rare Birds’ Under Streetlight Glow was one of the highlights. In our original review of the album, we noted that “the singer and her Rare Birds [...] make a strong case for the simple, unexpected, and life-affirming power of a sad song.” Now, nearly a year after that case was made, U.K.-based music site The Line Of Best Fit has released a video of Spencer performing one of Streetlight’s best songs, “While It’s Shining.” The clip was recorded earlier this year before a gig at London’s Union Chapel, and it is set in a location that seems to be a perfect fit for Spencer’s sad, sepia-toned songs: an empty stairwell.
New material from Spencer is reportedly in the works. Her next show is at The Jazz Estate March 29.