Watch two videos from Madison-based band Pioneer
More Visual Audio
- Watch Volcano Choir perform “Byegone” on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon
- Flip out (and do cartwheels and handstands) with The Fatty Acids
- Let WC Tank cut through your conscious neural interference with the video for “Demigodz (Of Tha Law)”
- Think spring with the video for Klassik’s “ForeverWhatever”
- Take a two-wheeled tour of Milwaukee with The Fatty Acids and Cream City Soundcheck
Madison-based band Pioneer makes lovely music. Madison-based video production company Manic Eye Media makes wonderful videos. So it stands to reason that the two working together, as seen here in a pair of videos recently recorded for A.V. Club Madison, would be so great that it would practically make your eyes pop out of your head.
Chamber-pop trio Pioneer (which includes members of Surgeons In Heat) finds singer Kenny Monroe stepping out from behind his bass duties with Madison indie-popsters Crane Your Swan Neck and saddling into the role of main songwriter. Dynamic ripples of Jacqueline Kursel’s cello rise and fall over Monroe’s wandering chord progressions, as his low, quivering croons float across the top. From the seasick waltz of “In Summertime” to the neo-folk sweetness of “I Like You” to the aching grandeur of “Memorial Day” (from this year’s Winter Tour EP), it becomes clear that Monroe has still found a voice of his own within a crowded genre.
Check out the videos for “Memorial Day” and “Untitled”—both recorded in Madison’s Bassment—below.