Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward—a.k.a. She & Him—to play Riverside Theater June 28
More Just Announced
- Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds to play first-ever headlining Milwaukee show June 20 at Milwaukee Theatre
- The Get Down will return to Turner Hall for annual New Year’s Eve bash
- Martin Short to perform at Pabst Theater January 18
- Screech strikes back: Dustin Diamond’s Bayside Bash returns to Turner Hall Nov. 27
- Metric to play Turner Hall Nov. 22
The rare case where the audience for an actor-fronted band is more interested in music than stargazing, She & Him features Zooey Deschanel, the indie crush object best known for (500) Days Of Summer and her current starring gig on Fox’s New Girl. Offering musical assistance as well as plenty of cred, M. Ward provides the Him half of the duo’s take on old-fashioned pop and country. Not surprisingly, She & Him’s 2008 debut, Volume One, contained familiar covers like The Miracles’ “You Really Got A Hold On Me” and a Hawaiian-tropic version of The Beatles’ “I Should Have Known Better.” 2010’s Volume Two added songs from NRBQ and Skeeter Davis, and a collaboration with Tilly And The Wall. The duo’s latest album, Volume Three (natch), is easily their best yet, as quickly evident by the winning opener “I’ve Got Your Number, Son” and the video for “I Could’ve Been Your Girl,” the latter of which features Deschanel doing adorably Deschanel-y things.
She & Him will make their first Milwaukee appearance in three years (they played the 2010 Verge Music Festival) Friday, June 28 at the Riverside Theater. General admission tickets are $35, and go on sale Friday, June 7 at noon.