Because The A.V. Club knows that TV shows keep going even if we’re not writing at length about them, we’re experimenting with discussion posts. For certain shows, one of our TV writers will publish some brief thoughts about the latest episode, and open the comments for readers to share theirs.
- That was...so good? Let’s be honest, it’s been a long time since we felt the true, good, honest rhythm of a thoroughly solid episode of Scandal. This felt like a version of the show I wanted seasons ago.
- The last few seasons of Scandal would have you think a title like “Pressing the Flesh” would literally include flesh pressing–the sexy kind and the horrific kind. Luckily, we’re sparred from any Huck torture or Fitz without a shirt on.
- We do get some real hot chemistry between Mellie and President Rashad. Honestly, I like this pairing. Mellie really felt like she was back in her element with Rashad.
- That’s important because it’s clear Olivia has Mellie in a vulnerable position this season. There are two versions of Mellie: the one who doesn’t need to rely on anyone and holds filibusters and the one who is needy and drinks like a sailor. Olivia needs Mellie to be needy right now.
- That’s why it’s interesting that Liv’s tactic in this episode doesn’t work, but Mellie does. Mellie is able to convince Rashad to sign after speaking openly with him. It’s nice to see that Mellie is still in touch with herself, because Olivia’s gut is not functioning properly.
- Charlie and Quinn are truly my favorite couple. I never thought I’d be rooting for them as hard as I am. If you had told me Charlie and Quinn would follow Derek and Meredith in terms of chemistry, I never would’ve believed you.
- Also, I love David and Abby. Liv’s relationship drama with that news anchor is boring, but I love seeing David and Abby get back together.
- Hey, Olivia, you can’t blackmail everyone. There are only so many children you can threaten.
- I can’t wait for Cyrus to sleep with Hank. Honestly. They could match Charlie and Quinn on chemistry.
- Let’s all be thankful for Huck’s weirdo observations. It really shows us that Olivia is stronger with her team. She and Jake aren’t cutting it and she needs her team to help her see all of her options.
- I absolutely do not care about that news anchor and Olivia.
- Okay. Probably THE EASIEST problem Olivia could ever fix is getting Mellie a vibrator. Presidents have snuck whole ass mistresses into the White House and you’re telling me Olivia can’t get Mellie a dildo? Olivia has snuck her entire self into that presidential bed and she can’t hook a First Lady up? I truly do not believe Olivia has Mellie’s best interests at heart. How can she?