Here’s a compilation of our favorite features we published this week.
- This season, The Handmaid’s Tale is making the connection between Gilead and present-day America explicit
- Guffaws, chuckles, or titters? Decoder Ring reveals the hidden artistry and human hand behind TV laugh tracks
- Atlanta, Westworld, and the episode-description revolution
- Smacking a YouTuber with their own selfie stick is a new peak for video game catharsis
- In Richard Linklater’s SubUrbia, the kids aren’t all right, all right, all right
- Why watch movies on film?
- Sticking their noses in other people’s business: 16 TV Cyranos
- Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz help break Cannes’ opening-night curse
- Katharine Hepburn and Ginger Rogers ad-lib their way through a very loose stage adaptation
- How have A.P. Bio, Black Lightning, and other midseason shows panned out?
- Scary Movie was ground zero for some of the worst comedy of all time
- Spending a day on the longest movie in the history of the Cannes Film Festival
- This Michael Shannon and Ashley Judd thriller gets so intense you have to laugh
- My Best Friend’s Wedding rewrote the rom-com happy ending
- Mads Mikkelsen endures a cold crucible, but it’s Cold War that could win the big prize at Cannes
- Eat or be eaten: The A.V. Club reacts to the Atlanta Robbin’ Season finale
- And now, Conan The Librarian: 8 fictional shows, games, and books we wish were real
- Toward the end of his career, a movie innovator turned to theater for inspiration