Because The A.V. Club knows that TV shows keep going even if we’re not writing at length about them, we’re experimenting with discussion posts. For certain shows, one of our TV writers will publish some brief thoughts about the latest episode, and open the comments for readers to share theirs.
- Hey, you knew after last week’s feel-good episode that we were due for a tear-jerker. Like a triple tear-jerker, in fact.
- Man, Shonda Rhimes loves to throw unsubtle messages in these plotlines. Don’t drive angry, kids! Or your son might die as a result!
- Even when faced with this heavy-handedness, and as much as she annoys me sometimes (often), Caterina Scorsone as Amelia killed that scene with Karev. We know what happened to Amelia before, but her fear over having to face being pregnant again really resonated.
- That said, I like cranky Alex, and I don’t really get the angel of goodness he was this episode, hovering over everyone. Him being constantly kind and optimistic is as bad as Meredith being like that.
- Look for Deluca and Jo to hook up in 3… 2… The worst part is that this will lead to more Jo scenes.
- Most annoying this week: Arizona. Yes, so an intern who sued you after dating you returns to the hospital (totally an insane call by Weber). A series of stammering conversations isn’t going to make that situation any less awkward.
- That was Brigid Brannagh as the brave, doomed mom-to-be. Really liked her on Army Wives, and she completely sold her role here. As did the bereaved mom punching out the dad: “I wish it was you!”
- Again, unsubtle, and it did lead to a sunnier Karev, but I like that he took that awful day and learned something from it: to appreciate waffle Sundays and Meredith and her kids. Except for Maggie. Nobody could appreciate Maggie.
- Next week: An upheaval in the residency program! Snore.