Because The A.V. Club knows that TV shows keep going even if we’re not writing at length about them, we’re experimenting with discussion posts. For certain shows, one of our TV writers will publish some brief thoughts about the latest episode, and open the comments for readers to share theirs.
- Cade is finally in Mystic Falls, and you know he’s the devil because he torments the guy who gives him coffee. You don’t taunt the people who give you caffeine!
- Opening a Mystic Falls time capsule sounds like literally the worst idea. Has Matt not heard of, well, every single thing that’s happened in this town, ever?
- While everyone else is dealing with the devil, Bonnie and Enzo are off in their own, momentarily happier version of vacation section of The Fault In Our Stars. It’s great to see Bonnie so happy, but strangely discordant with all the talk of Cade and murder it’s intercut with.
- Killing Cade comes down to the cure, and the plan is so hilariously complicated that it’s actually kind of great: They give the cure to Cade, Enzo takes it from him so Cade shrivels up and dies, and then eventually Damon takes it from Enzo. Like a supernatural game of suck and blow.
- The cure in this case is yet another “pass the magical thingamajig” but something about this time at least felt like it had a bit of a spark to it. A lot of that was putting Caroline and Damon together to work toward a common goal, and their repartee while doing it was suitably entertaining.
- This episode is rather well constructed, with all the disparate stories coming together and pushing everyone toward the same goal: To get to Elena. (That it all comes down to Elena, again, some more, is a different conversation.)
- “I am taking it out on you; I’m on my way to murder Elena. In fact, Waze says I’ll be there in five minutes.” If Stefan and Damon are going to fight over Elena again, at least there is banter.
- Stefan is going to be human, which seems like basically rewarding him for being a total asshole. Great job, show.
- Real talk: Having Stefan kill Enzo might be the cruelest thing this show has ever done. All this work to establish Bonnie in a happy, healthy relationship and it was just to take it all away from her? Like everything else the show has ever done to her throughout eight seasons? Let’s just rename it “the Torture Bonnie Bennett Forever Hour.” I’m very, very mad about it. Very. Mad.