Because The A.V. Club knows that TV shows keep going even if we’re not writing at length about them, we’re experimenting with discussion posts. For certain shows, one of our TV writers will publish some brief thoughts about the latest episode, and open the comments for readers to share theirs.
- It’s only fair that Scandal dedicate an entire episode to Fitz. Fitz is one of the show’s most controversial characters. You either hate him or you’re obsessed with Olitz and I guess...tolerate him. I’m not really sure. I’ve never seen the appeal. For an episode about Fitz, this was fine.
- I’m happy that an episode dedicated to Fitz spent so much time tearing apart his character. Fitz has always been a hypocrite. He holds Olivia to unfair standards. He cheated on his wife. He almost went to war to save his mistress. He was a horrible president. Olitz has never really been presented as a good or positive thing for Fitz or Olivia. He killed a Supreme Court justice. “Day 101" let the audience yell at Fitz through Marcus and it was great.
- The show rarely acknowledges the narrative around Olivia being outed as Fitz’s mistress and stereotypes she faces as a black woman. Around the time that happened in the series, Olivia got kidnapped and Scandal went lunging down a new path. It’s nice to see them take a moment to discuss it between Fitz and Marcus.
- Hahaha, Fitz can’t even go to the grocery store the right way.
- The Marcus/Fitz fight was a bit much.
- This almost felt like a bottle episode, even though it obviously changed locations. Still, the tight focus on Fitz was a good move. Papa Pope’s monologue felt like an intrusion and, obviously, Fitz wasn’t going to believe him.
- It was obvious that Fitz would be outside of Liv’s apartment last week. Getting some backstory doesn’t make me want them back together though.
- I almost wish Marcus and Mellie had remained friends. They have great chemistry together.
- I can’t believe I’m saying this, but: I miss Quinn and Charlie. What are they up to? How’s the baby?
- Well, cool, let’s send Fitz back up to his farm for the rest of the season. I think we’ve had enough.