Because The A.V. Club knows that TV shows keep going even if we’re not writing at length about them, we’re experimenting with discussion posts. For certain shows, one of our TV writers will publish some brief thoughts about the latest episode, and open the comments for readers to share theirs.
- Cyrus is bad again. I wondered where the show would go after last week’s exciting crossover, but the dust has settled and all we’re left with is “Cyrus is maybe bad again.” Cyrus should not be in the White House. We all know Cyrus does bad things. It didn’t feel like a reveal when Olivia called him out for being behind the attack. Of course Cyrus is scheming for the presidency. He has no respect for Mellie oh, and also he has been behind almost all of the evil things in the show.
- I knew we’d get another episode with Liv’s mom before the series ended, but this wasn’t great. Liv’s mom didn’t have any legitimate criticisms, but Olivia acted like she was totally right. Liv’s mom is a terrorist who should be in jail. Instead, she’s living in a nice private penthouse, but wants to compare her experience with the people unfairly jailed by the court system and call Liv a hypocrite? It just made no sense and seemed like a stretch to connect this week with last week’s court case.
- David and Abby are pure and lovely. I’m glad they’re not getting married though.
- That Huck and Abby scene felt a little too soapy for me. I get that Huck has changed, but it always comes off as corny when he tries to make anyone believe in romance or love.
- I like that Mellie blatantly told Fitz to shut up and not share what he would do. Mellie isn’t a great president, but at least she’s listening to her gut.
- Like most Scandal plans, this plan makes very little sense. So, Cyrus knew his secretary would confess to having the hacked device, that Quinn and Associates would be able to hack the code and take back control of the plane and that one person with a phone would figure out wifi and record him. Just a lot of moving pieces there, but I guess Cyrus can make anything happen.
- So, the series is definitely going to end with some kind of terrorist plot that involves Liv’s mom and dad. This doesn’t excite me and I wish these characters had been put to bed forever ago.
- This felt like a weird episode. A lot happened, but then it all turned out to be a ploy. I want to believe this episode is setting us up for something huge, but this is Scandal and honestly this plot point could disappear forever and no one would question it.