Because The A.V. Club knows that TV shows keep going even if we’re not writing at length about them, we’re experimenting with discussion posts. For certain shows, one of our TV writers will publish some brief thoughts about the latest episode, and open the comments for readers to share theirs.
- So our ragged cast of castaways escapes the deadly spores in their superplane, only to get shot down by Abigail on the wrong side of the barrier. So Jackson decides to take one for the team and try to lure the hungry hybrids away so that everyone else can get to safety. Of course he encounters Abigail, and Clementine’s baby daddy Sam, who it turns out is working for the other side. Jackson just starts shooting everyone (in the leg, thankfully) until Abigail reveals that Sam is in fact Jackson’s long-lost son. Y’know, math is not my strong suit, but this seems like a bit of a stretch. James Wolk is 32 (granted, he’s one of those types who will probably look 32 when he’s 53) and maybe he’s playing older, like 40, so I guess if Sam is like 20? My kids, watching alongside me were not buying it. However, they also thought Mitch was Jamie’s dad, so maybe they’re not the best judges overall.
- Speaking of, I really can’t get behind the see-saw aspect of that relationship. Last week he could barely talk to her because she tried to control him as Mr. Duncan. This week, they’re all back because he says he would have killed Abigail anyway. Also, for once I agree with Jamie: The constant speculation on why she won’t hold the unnamed baby (who obviously will be named Max), when they’re probably all going to die soon, is pretty dumb.
- If they name the baby Katniss I will never stop laughing.
- Nice Aliens callback from Logan: “It’ll be game over.”
- Worthless Tessa’s job seems to be pointing out continents on the big electronic map: “Asia to Europe to Africa.” Logan and Dariela are helping by staring at the big beacon countdown clock.
- Dead man switch! Unfortunately the Cylon still seems ready to nuke everything to save humanity from “every last beacon and hybrid nest.”
- Too bad about those other guys on the plane-saving team. But hey, Tessa and Dariela made it, so all good!
- “All right, hero. You pull this off, I might consider letting you call me dad.” “For real?” “Oh, no.” Billy Burke possesses this show’s only example of comic timing.
- What did they do with Max’s body?
- Gotta admit, it was kind of hilarious when Abigail was about to go off on another one of her diatribes and Jackson just shot her instead. “Stop talking!” Of course, then she just went ahead with it anyway.
- Nice use of The Rolling Stones’ “The Hand Of Fate” at the end of the episode. Probably blew their music budget for the year, but it was worth it.
- Next week: Season finale! It’s called “The Barrier,” so probably nasty hybrids break through somehow, making that wall useless. But we need more hybrids! Insane razorback wolves are old news, we’ve seen them before. Let’s hope this show pulls out something spectacular for the finale. That car diving into a volcano was a few weeks ago.