One person whose opinions on movies we always find interesting is John Waters, given how influential his personal trash-cinema aesthetic has been over the past five decades. It just speaks well to his taste, you know? Anyway, today Waters released his annual list of the top 10 films of 2017, and as you might expect, it’s an eclectic mix.
Waters’ favorite film of the year is Edgar Wright’s stylistic triumph Baby Driver, followed by the true crime (a favorite of Waters’)-inspired arthouse biopic I, Olga Hepnarová, which flew under our radar here at The A.V. Club. Early awards-season contenders like Lady Bird and The Florida Project are absent from Waters’ list, in favor of foreign arthouse picks, Barry Levinson’s HBO movie The Wizard Of Lies, and the tepidly reviewed Wonderstruck and Wonder Wheel. (He may have chosen the Woody Allen just to be contrarian, who knows?) We’re with him on Nocturama and Lady Macbeth, though.
John Waters’ complete Top 10 list for 2017 is below.
1. Baby Driver (Edgar Wright)
2. I, Olga Hepnarová (Tomáš Weinreb and Petr Kazda)
3. The Strange Ones (Christopher Radcliff and Lauren Wolkstein)
4. Nocturama (Bertrand Bonello)
5. Wonderstruck (Todd Haynes)
6. Graduation (Christian Mungiu)
7. The Wizard Of Lies (Barry Levinson)
8. Lady Macbeth (William Oldroyd)
9. Wonder Wheel (Woody Allen)
10. Tom Of Finland (Dome Karukoski)